Sunday, May 17, 2009

Food Bank


Our Junior League has a partnership with Gleaner's Community Food Bank.  On Saturday, I had the opportunity to sort food and pack meal boxes.  The meal boxes are delivered to food banks in the metro Detroit area for distribution to people in need.  I worked with 2 other JLB members and several high school students.  It was a great day!  For the 3 hrs we were there, we packed 2800 lbs of food!

This experience opened my eyes to what food banks really need and don't need.
Need:
  • Cereal (single serving boxes)
  • Granola bars/cereal bars
  • Pasta/sauce
  • Dinner in a can (a la chef boy r d)
  • Coffee (single packets or small jars instant)
  • Peanut Butter & Jelly
  • Lifesavers or other candy treats
  • Mayo (small containers)
Don't Need:
  • Weird stuff from your pantry that no one in your family will eat.
  • Anything homemade
  • Expired food -  You wouldn't believe the bottles of salad dressing donated that were 2 years expired.  
I encourage you to find an opportunity in your city to give back! 

1 comment:

  1. I live in Birmingham, and I've been considering joining the JLB! I didn't do it this Fall, because I've been planning my wedding, and I'm afriad Fall of 2009 is going to be crazy too!

    Do you enjoy it? Have you met any friends through it? Even though I grew up in Bloomfield Hills, it seems like more and more of my friends are moving out of state, and I'm looking to meet new women while helping out the community.

    ReplyDelete