Our Junior League has a partnership with Gleaner's Community Food Bank. On Saturday, I had the opportunity to sort food and pack meal boxes. The meal boxes are delivered to food banks in the metro Detroit area for distribution to people in need. I worked with 2 other JLB members and several high school students. It was a great day! For the 3 hrs we were there, we packed 2800 lbs of food!
This experience opened my eyes to what food banks really need and don't need.
- Cereal (single serving boxes)
- Granola bars/cereal bars
- Dinner in a can (a la chef boy r d)
- Coffee (single packets or small jars instant)
- Peanut Butter & Jelly
- Lifesavers or other candy treats
- Mayo (small containers)
- Weird stuff from your pantry that no one in your family will eat.
- Anything homemade
- Expired food - You wouldn't believe the bottles of salad dressing donated that were 2 years expired.
I encourage you to find an opportunity in your city to give back!